Preparing Yourself for a Tornado
No one has the ability of knowing the strength of a tornado before it touches the ground. Tornadoes don’t just lift and carry houses into the air like, one would think. Majority of tornadoes cause damage to the buildings from the high winds and flying debris. Have you taken the precautionary measures to prepare you and your family, in the event a tornado was to happen? If not, here are a few things you can gather and do, to help you be prepared and to stay safe!
- Electronics to have on hand: batteries, flashlight, tv, radio, or a device with the internet to get the latest emergency weather updates
- Create a tornado emergency plan, include an access to a “safe shelter” for yourself or others
- Have an emergency kit
- Educate your children on tornado and what they are.
- Find a room to seek shelter on the lowest floor or basement, the best room to choose would be an interior one that has no windows (bathroom, closet, center hallway). Plan for this to be your tornado room to seek shelter.
- For added protection, be sure to get under something sturdy (a heavy table or workbench). Cover your body with a blanket, sleeping bag or mattress for added layers. Be sure to protect your head with anything available.
By preparing and following these tips will increase your safety and well-being, if a tornado were to take place. SERVPRO of Mason City can help assist in the clean up and board of your home.